Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Beginning

Hi All!

My name is Bailey and as of tomorrow, I am going to be starting an incredible adventure! For those of you who don't know, this past summer, I babysat for a family in town with the one man show "A Bronx Tale" which toured through Denver. The producer, who traveled with his wife and three kids, needed a sitter for the two weeks they were here and luckily enough, I was recommended. I got very close with the family and the mom and I started talking quite a bit about what I wanted to do, where I wanted to end up etc. Then she mentioned that her mom, is a talent manager in Los Angeles and that she would give her my contact information. Hoping but not getting too excited that something good would come out of it, I just kind of let the thought fall out of my mind. Then October rolled around and my family and I were taking a trip out to LA to visit my brother for Parent's Weekend! So my mom and I decided to send her an email and see if we could possibly meet up with her...she replied and we made an appointment for the afternoon we got in. I had absolutely NO idea what to expect...was she just doing this as a favor to her daughter? Or was she actually going to give me a chance to see if I am worth representing? I was nervous, but ready :) She works out of her home in Hollywood Hills so my parents and I ventured through the curves and bends of the hills until we reached her home. The entire drive up there, my nerves kind of settled...as far as I was concerned, I was just going to go in there and be myself, and if she liked it and believed in me, then great...and if not, then it is her loss. So I confidently approached the door, and she welcomed me with a warm hug. We sat in the living room with my parents and chatted for a while as she asked me a series of questions like "Why do you want to do this?"..."Do you plan to move to LA?" etc. I had the simplest answer to the first question...I want to act. I am meant to do this, this is who I am. And even more, the absolute last thing I want is to be sitting here in 10 years saying to myself "I wish I would've gone, I wish I would've tried...". So then she asked me if I could sing and I replied yes and she said...well, now? So I got up in the middle of her living room and started belting out an old classic, "Don't Cry Out Loud" by Melissa Manchester. She told me that I had an amazing voice but wanted to see my range, so she asked if I could sing something Disney that was a little more pop. Knowing that she represents a client who was in Camp Rock, I sang "This Is Me" from the movie. She then asked if I would do some cold reads, so we went into another room away from my parents, however, they could still hear me. I did two ads/commercials for Burger King and a car company, and then I read a comedic and dramatic scene from two new upcoming TV shows. It was a blast :) That was a moment I realized I am heading in the right direction of what I want. Then we came back into the room and she said "You have a very talented daughter" and my parents thanked her. But she said she had one concern which was that she represents a client who is a lot like me...similar body type, she can sing, etc. and I would be in direct competition with her eventually. However, she is two years older than me and is already what they consider a working actress...so she will no longer take the smaller roles, anything under 15 lines are so. Who are we kidding?! For now, I will take no lines if that is what it takes! So we suggested that if because of this she cannot take me on, is there someone she can recommend me too...but she kept repeating that she really liked me (which was very good sign!). So after about 10 minutes of talking and thinking, she decided to take me on and that was a moment I will never forget. And that is how I got to where I am now, moving to Los Angeles to pursue the dream I have always wanted.

I really believe that if you can just find that ONE person that believes in you, and sees that twinkle in your eye and that shine in your smile, and the want in your heart, then you have the found a way to make your dreams come true. I have always believed and stood by the quote that "Success is when preparation and opportunity intersect". I am prepared, and I have the greatest opportunity in the world. Time to go after it!

xoxo
~B

7 comments:

  1. You're going to do great, Bailey! You have so many people believing in you. We'll miss you here in Colorado! I look forward to reading your updates!!

    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Becca! And I cannot even tell you how much the support in Colorado means to me...I will try to update once a day, even if it just a few sentences!
    xoxo
    ~B

    ReplyDelete
  3. really good job bailey. I really respect you for taking these risks and pursuing a dream like this...
    -Caroline Warly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Caroline! That is very sweet of you, and I am honored to be someone of you who respect...:)
    ~B

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy for you, Bailey! Stay strong out there. I can't wait to see you in a movie or show and tell all of my friends, "I used to swim and hang out with her when she was twelve." Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Jarah! I am doing my best :) aww love you too!

    ReplyDelete